Skip to main content

When It's Time to Let Go

In the last four years I have seen a lot relationships in my life change.  There were people who I was very close to who went a different direction, just because of life.   There was the reality of leaving Pittsburgh; moving far away.   That would naturally change some relationships.   There was also those relationships I thought were solid and would stand the test of time.   Many of those have drastically changed.  Of all of these, these hurt the worst.   These were the ones I poured the most into.  These were the ones I thought I could take the most from.

I try to find the lesson from these relationships that ended in a form of betrayal.  You may think that to be a strong word, but how else should I  interpret it?  The church leader who promised ABC and then reneged.   The church leader who joined me in guise of love and then in my moment of greatest need sought only their best perceived interest.  The church leader who feigned care and compassion only to work behind the scenes to take my job, my reputation and my security and attack it.  The friend who decided it was easier to adapt to what she hated instead of standing on principal.   The friend who couldn't look past their own moment and left my wife and I to suffer in silence; though we had been through multiple crisises with this person.

The list is long.  The wounds were severe.   They almost costs me everything.  The past 4 years have been about offering these things to God repeatedly, watching and waiting for Him to turn the bleeding, sometimes festering wound into a scar.  He has done so much of that.  I am grateful.

Yet the last step of this is something He has only been revealing these last few weeks.  I know that my conclusion may not be the most popular one as Christians sometimes have accepted to idea to love someone is to like them.   I don't believe so anymore.  I think in cases like this, to love someone is to forgive them.  To love them is to shut the door and let them go.  To love them however is not to lock the door, but to leave open the potential of reconciliation...should they pursue.

To love them is not to chase.  To love them is put the whole relationship in the hands of God and let Him work on their hearts to bring reconciliation around.  If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen.

That is not on you...
You have done your part to live at peace with everyone.  (Romans 12:18)

I have grieved over the loss of these relationships.
I don't want to do this anymore.

So I am letting them go.
I don't hate them.  I don't wish them ill.
I don't think I am angry anymore...
Just really aware...  relationships filtered through my expectations will probably always disappoint.
In the future, I suppose I am just going to chose to love by lifting another's needs above my own.
Those who respond will find a good friend.
Those who don't - God bless them.    They are not to be in my life in this manner.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

Killing Sin 2b

Yesterday we concluded the devotional with this thought, "The second part of this compels us to look at the formulation of sin. Sin is often the byproduct of several steps of  development. First, we have a need. Second, Satan attempts to woo us to his solution. Third, we rationalize his solution.  Fourth, we entertain his solution and finally we act upon it. This is sins gestation process an thus compels us, as believers in Christ, to address it in 2 ways: 1.  Birth control (Abstinence) 2.  Abortion The battle to defeat sin begins with these 3 simple words, "I trust God."  I trust God to wait.  I trust God that His plan is perfect.  I trust God beyond my moment and beyond what my eyes presently see.  I trust God to have my best interests at heart.  I trust God enough to walk away from what my flesh and mind are in agreement on. I trust God so much that I am choosing to practice abstinence with sin. Trusting God is not a simple choice, but is based upon the gr