Skip to main content

We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!!!


When I was a teenager I watched Wayne's World. I'll quickly admit it wasn't the best use of my time, yet here I am almost 25+ years later remembering a line they would use as they encountered a 'rock god' or something that inspired them. They would fall to their knees and shout out, "We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!  I laughed a bit because of how it was done.  It was funny, but it was also in some ways strangely tragic.  I wonder what Wayne or Garth will do before the God of Heaven.

11 For the Scriptures say, “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord ‘every knee will bend to me and every tongue will declare allegiance to God.’ 12 Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God." Romans 14:11-12 (NLT)

In the presence of eternal God we are not worthy ourselves, yet the blood of Christ makes us worthy because it has paid for Creator's purpose to be restored.  The blood of Christ restored fellowship to God, took away the curse of sin and death, and allows us status as children of God.  This status is bought and paid for, and can never be stripped away by an outside source.   It is a status bathed in love.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:38-39

So we have status.  We are made worthy by the blood.  Our father in Heaven loves us with an unrelenting love, and defends His own with an insurmountable power...

And yet we often live fighting battles of great spiritual insecurity.

You know what those battles look like.  Satan, who is a liar and can only lie, according to John 8:44 uses the half truth to attack our spiritual position.   He uses our past to diminish our present.  He uses our present to take our eyes off our future.  Even though Romans 8:1 says that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, we can battle with intense guilt and feelings that we do not measure up to the position we proclaim.

And guess what - we don't!  It was never about our ability to begin with.  It was never about what we did that merited God's favor or even got His attention.  Our position is a exercise of God's grace, motivated by love.  

Because of love God has saved us.   Because of love He is changing us.  Because of love He is using us for His glory.  It is all unmerited favor.  It is all grace.

This became very real to me again this morning as my battle has more to do with my role as a pastor versus as a Christian.   There are days that I consider myself, my strengths and weaknesses, and deem myself unworthy of this calling because I measure myself not on God's view of success but on man's.  I realized recently that I still 'owned' too much of the ministry I lead, and by that I mean that I made its growth about my ability and its decline about my flaws.   It took me to dark places of great doubt and defeat, a place where Satan thrived and kept me focused on wrong things.  It was easy to slip back into being the 'professional pastor' and slip away from being Aaron, a son of God.

Yet my positional standing with God would not allow Him to be silent.  Even today He spoke to me through this verse that gave me pause: 



1 Tim 1:12 "12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him,"

It hit me even as I typed this, God considers me worthy to that which I am called to do.   He picked me.  I am not inadequate to serve Him, but as I collect strength from Him I can serve Him and be used by Him with great power and effectiveness.   He picked me.  I am significant in Him.  As I live in that status of significance, no lie from Satan can take away the fact...

It wasn't my ability that caused Him to appoint me...He picked me because He wanted to.  He empowers me because He choses to.  I AM WORTHY because He lives through me.

That my friends should provide the weapon against spiritual insecurity.   Keep centered on your positional standing.  Receive often from the Holy Spirit.  Tell Satan He can take his lies straight to Hell.  We are not listening any longer.

Grace and peace...







Comments

  1. We praise God for sending such a wonderful Pastor and family to our church, community and into our lives and family! Thank you, Pastor, for leading us In words of truth from God.
    Father, please encourage Pastor Aaron by the power of your Spirit. Let his soul be refreshed with the love of Christ. Let him have faith for the future. Help him to keep pressing forward even when the way is littered with obstacles and circumstances arise. Father, please give my Pastor supernatural strength. Protect him from sickness and disease. Give him your energy to keep serving faithfully! Help him to find periods of rest and recovery. Guide him to still waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love and support.
      It means more than mere words can account.
      I'm so glad to have people like you in my life and church.

      Delete
    2. I know it’s a saying that is getting over used but God equips the called. Most of us come into ministry with more doubts than anything else. It’s as we learn who we are in Him that we become more useful to Him. Never doubt your calling Pastor, so many are choosing the “job” of a Pastor without God’s calling on their life. We are so fortunate that we have a man of God in our church with the hand of God on him. Blessing to you and your family, we love you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

Questioning God

Solomon wrote "There is a season for everything." The Byrds took that knowledge and sang "Turn Turn Turn."  Both understood that existence has moments, times and seasons that separate themselves from the normal hum-drum of life.  These ticks of the clock can be incredibly rich, such as times of great joy seen in new marriage, the birth of a new baby, or moving and starting fresh, but they can also be very hurtful and joyless.   Life brings us seasons where we don't understand why things are going on the way the are.  These can be seasons of wrought with darkness, anger, pain and suffering. Does it mean that God is with us in the one and absent from the other? Often the moment makes us feel that this is true. That's often the problems with feelings.  They are naturally subjective.  By subjective they are 'true' in the moment, but not 'true' after the fact.  This is one of the primary reasons that we can not trust them and should not l