Skip to main content

The Best Way To Give




As the pastor in several churches in my career, and a pastor's son in many others,  I have spent a lifetime learning the culture of church.   My conclusion is that you can have a variety of denominations, but in most cases human nature is human nature.  We may believe differently, but in many ways we act the same regardless of what church we worship in.

An example is in our giving.  What my experience has been is that we often neglect the simple truths of giving, out and out reject them, or we complicate them with rules and extra Biblical thinking.  We neglect to remember that we are stewards of His greater resources.  We are managers of His money, His time and His giftedness within us.  He asks so little of His own resources, yet we rationalize from a mixed bag of priorities what we think we need to do, spend money on and invest in.


Make no mistake, God will judge us on this.  It's that big of a deal.


My quest lately has been to read the gospels and note the heart of Jesus.   Today I caught His heart for giving in the following verse that gave me pause: 





Mark 12:  41- 44  Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.


Is it reasonable to conclude that part of the reason we give is an expression of our trust in God?   Let's be honest, there is always one more thing that we can buy and giving to God influences our buying power.   This is especially true when we are tithing.  Most of us, if we simply lived at the poverty line, would tithe over $2000 dollars in a year.   That could mean no big TV, less of a car, or smaller gift giving at Christmas.  The question is often stated, "I can't afford to tithe, I need (such and such). Doesn't God want me to be happy?"


God is more interested in your obedience that your perceived happiness.   He defines happiness completely different than our Americanized perspective.   Happiness is not for the one who dies with the most stuff.  In God's view, true happiness is the prize of the one who realizes the bounty of eternal life.  Happiness is in knowing that God is for me.  God is sufficient to meet my needs.  


David wrote, 


Psalm 73:  25 - 26 
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever


Jesus spoke of the woman who gave so little but gave everything she had.  Perhaps what caught His eye was where the woman placed herself by her act of giving.  She would count on God for her needs, wants and desires.


Could she simply have giving in a expression of this thought, 


"God I am grateful for the love you have given by providing for me since my husband died.  I have seen it time and again that as I place my life in your hands, giving you full authority, that you honor me by taking care of me.  I have been fearful, you have given peace.  I have had physical needs, you have met them.  I put all I have into this offering trusting that what you have done for me will continue.   I trust you with my life."


There is a great Chris Tomlin song that speaks to this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6MzgVsP2uE


That would have caught Jesus attention - full out devotion to trusting that your Father in heaven takes care of His children.


To wrap up, let me encourage you not to rob God, for you actually steal from yourself the very things you gave your life to Jesus for.


Grace and peace...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!!!

When I was a teenager I watched Wayne's World. I'll quickly admit it wasn't the best use of my time, yet here I am almost 25+ years later remembering a line they would use as they encountered a 'rock god' or something that inspired them. They would fall to their knees and shout out, "We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!  I laughed a bit because of how it was done.  It was funny, but it was also in some ways strangely tragic.  I wonder what Wayne or Garth will do before the God of Heaven. 11 For the Scriptures say, “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord ‘every knee will bend to me and every tongue will declare allegiance to God.’ 12 Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God." Romans 14:11-12 (NLT) In the presence of eternal God we are not worthy ourselves, yet the blood of Christ makes us worthy because it has paid for Creator's purpose to be restored.  The blood of Christ restored fellowship to God, took away the curse of sin and dea