Skip to main content

Recovery

It's been a long 5 years.  Five years ago much of what I valued was ripped away from me savagely.  People I thought I could trust and had long experiences with made decisions that left deep wounds; for myself and for my family.  God was gracious.  When everything inside me screamed to quit, He said no.  He fought both for me and with me.  Where the Bible says, "I will never leave you or forsake you" became something especially real to me.  It continues to be real these past few months.

In May I received word that my heart disease had improved and my heart function had doubled. This was not supposed to happen.  It had been 23% for 5 years, but all the sudden, tests came back at 46%.  I was convinced of a screw up.  I was dead wrong (no pun intended).  God has restored what Satan tried to steal.  I can say "It is well with my soul."

In June I had the opportunity to go home again.  God opened the door for me to speak at a camp near my previous church.  As part of the week, I drove to the facility and sat outside of it and prayed.  Though some of the deepest pain in my life came though what that building represented to me, I prayed it's blessing, it's future prosperity, and I released it to God. That day I buried the skeletons.  I can say, "It is well with my soul."

In July I had the opportunity to see many of my former colleagues and friends at General Conference.  Some of these had been the same ones who has presided over the experience I had in my exodus from my former church.  It was a mixed response.  Some greeted me with the utmost sincerity while others were quick to pass me by.  In the end, I concluded that it didn't matter.  You see promotion and demotion come from God.  I was 'benched' not by men, but by God.  He had a plan for my sorrow.  His plan has changed my errors.    This conclusion allows me to look at the situation; and forgive men and women and release it to God.  I can say, "It is well with my soul."

I close this blog with this:  I further know how easy it is to slip into the patterns I left at the cross; to pull the burning sacrifice from the altar because I do not like the smell or I do not want the smell to be known by you.  None of this should matter.  Where God leads He provides.  All that I need to be successful in Him comes from Him; nothing from me but my obedience.

Pray that I may not slip back into patterns broken.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Get Your Sweat On!

When I was a boy I was introduced to a little chorus that went something like this, "Practice makes perfect, practice makes perfect. I guess if I practice the better I'll be." In this age of video, they communicate it a lot better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm-RztsGDEw This truth is not Christian per say, but a hard reality.  For anything that we do in life, which we want to do with excellence, we must practice. In practicing we are training. Thus to be excellent, we must commit to training. I hated that season as an athlete. I loved the game. I loved to run and move for the prize of winning the game, but I hated the practice because I could not see the goal. My coaches could. My body did. I could not and did not because I wanted quick satisfaction. I fear I never became the athlete I could have been for my lack of drive to practice. I fear that I developed bad habits that God, failures and life have had to break. The truth here is simple, if we want to

Wait it out

Several verses today that gave me pause: "Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near" James 5:7-8. The wise King Solomon wrote, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." Ecc 3:1. His father David remarked, "Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord" Psalm 27:14. The Proverbs say, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto thy own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths" Prov 3:5-6. I have a love-hate relationship with God's timing.  I love when it comes through and He is proven in control, yet one more time, over the affairs of life.  I hate how long it often it takes and how