Skip to main content

The Path To A Miracle

    

     As you begin to read this, you need to know that this is not an a+b=c plan.  While sometimes I wish that God would move that way, I feel like it would take away the mystery and turn God into our vending machine.  That is not what we should want, nor is it what He wants.  God is in this for a long term relationship.  The question my friend is, "What are you in for?"

     If you are in for relationship, understand that it is God who reached out first to you.  We call this reaching out 'prevenient grace'.  He does this because we can not grasp Him without it because we are totally depraved, unable to connect with God.

     So God reaches out, and as He does He supplies all that is needed for us to reach back.  We call that moment conversion.  It is when we come to the conclusion, "I am a sinner and I need a savior.  Jesus is the savior that I need."   This is the beginning of relationship, but certainly not the last time that God reaches out for you and I.


 You will find God reaching out in your day to day.  You will find Him reaching out when things re simple and easy, yet will find Him stretching further when things are difficult.  God is doing all that He can.  The question my friend is, "what are you doing?"

     In Acts 3 we see the story of Peter and John going to pray.  They are going in part to reach back to a God who already had reached out to them.  I am reminded what my former pastor Gary Beck once said, "Prayer is my act of declaring dependency upon God."  That is simply what these men were doing.  They were engaged in the daily relationship of give and take with God.

     While on the way they saw a need present itself in a way that they had never grasped before.  While I am sure that they had seen this man before, they had never felt the leading the make a difference in His life.   That moment of uncertainty when God asked them to do something extraordinary could have been met with skepticism, but it wasn't.  When God reached out - Peter and John reached back - and the miracle began.

Yet the miracle could have thwarted by the will of the lame man.  He would have also received the moment with skepticism, trusting in his knowledge that his legs had never worked, or distrusting these 'miracle men' as hucksters wanting something in return.  He didn't, when Peter reached out the man reached back, and God gave him the miracle he longed for.

    Not the end of the plan though.  It was interesting to see the response of the man involved.  When he was healed he didn't stand say thank you and quietly walk away.  The Bible records him as "walking and leaping and praising God".   It makes me think of all the things that God does even on a daily basis.  Am I thankful enough to declare in front of others?  Will I reach back to God for the things He has done for me?

   I titled this devotional a pathway to a miracle.  While I am not certain this is 100% foolproof, I am certain it seems to be a pattern which is effective in Scripture.   It looks as if we reach back to a God who has reached out to us, without fear...without skepticism, that God will meet us at our most intimate need.  It may not come as we think it should, when we think it should, but the miracle will come as we stay in relationship, reaching back to a God who reaches out to us and then praising Him for the victories we receive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

Killing Sin 2b

Yesterday we concluded the devotional with this thought, "The second part of this compels us to look at the formulation of sin. Sin is often the byproduct of several steps of  development. First, we have a need. Second, Satan attempts to woo us to his solution. Third, we rationalize his solution.  Fourth, we entertain his solution and finally we act upon it. This is sins gestation process an thus compels us, as believers in Christ, to address it in 2 ways: 1.  Birth control (Abstinence) 2.  Abortion The battle to defeat sin begins with these 3 simple words, "I trust God."  I trust God to wait.  I trust God that His plan is perfect.  I trust God beyond my moment and beyond what my eyes presently see.  I trust God to have my best interests at heart.  I trust God enough to walk away from what my flesh and mind are in agreement on. I trust God so much that I am choosing to practice abstinence with sin. Trusting God is not a simple choice, but is based upon the gr