Skip to main content

Where's God In the Attack? (Psalm 25)

Temperament can be described as the way you have been wired by God.  In some people God has wired them to be doers, others thinking, others feelers and yet others lovers.  There is not a bad temperament.  There is not a temperament that is greater than another.   There is only how God has wired you (the strengths and the weaknesses) and what will you do with it, for good and for bad.

As a combination doer and thinker,  I often fight the battle of engaging before I know the strength of my enemy.   After failing in this area so many times in my life, I came to a conclusion that I will no longer attempt to fight a spiritual problem with a physical solution.   There would no longer be moves to flank my foe with better logic and tactics until I had taken the problem to the Lord and sought His solution.  See when I fought the battle without the Lord, I didn't use the weapons of OUR warfare (2 Cor 10:3-5).  I fought using the same tactics of my enemy, and God could not bless.   I may have had marginal success, but the battle was never truly over.  I never won the peace.  I simply fought until exhaustion and then suffered setbacks.

The contrast is King David in Psalm 25:  

1:  He takes the battle to the Lord first and reaffirms his trust in God for a solution.
2:  He reminds the Lord of the deep hurt and frustration that is his from this attack.  He puts the burden of responsibility to win the battle on the Lord.

Its then interesting to see how David speaks next:
4:  "Show me your ways, and teach me your paths."
5:  "Guide me in your truth and teach me."

In my opinion, David found a truth that often eludes us, especially when we take the role of the victim in crisis.  David would understand that anything he was facing had an eternal purpose that God understands even if David did not.  God had allowed his enemies to rise up against him because David, and perhaps all who watched him, had a lesson to learn before God could elevate him.

5:  For you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Again I love David resolve.  In this text he isn't giving up.  He isn't ceasing to lead.  He isn't putting his mantle of authority back into God's hands.  He makes a firm resolution, essentially putting his feet in concrete.

David is saying, "God you know my struggle, and how every evil thing seems to be thrust upon me now.  I know your ways, and how you have used pain in my life to draw me closer to you.  Instead of retreating into myself and being a victim of the circumstances, I have resolved to surrender worry, fears, anxieties and my supposed rights.  You will deliver me.  I'm counting on it"

The beauty of God and David's relationship is that even though it had very dark times at points, those times accomplished their purpose.  In the times of suffering David ran to God, and God revealed himself more deeply and personally to David.  The more David put his trust in God, the more God showed David Himself, and David treasured those encounters.

14:  The Lord confides in those who fear Him.  He makes His covenant known to them.

This chapter reminds me of a great line from a great man of God.  "We must learn not to treat crisis as an unwelcome intruder, but as a welcome guest."  Andre Van Zyl  Finally God Makes Sense.

So where is God in the attack, as close as we invite Him to be.  He moves closer as we lay down our sword and trust in His ability to honor His commitment to His people.  We are being made Holy in every God interaction.  To God be the glory.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

Killing Sin 2b

Yesterday we concluded the devotional with this thought, "The second part of this compels us to look at the formulation of sin. Sin is often the byproduct of several steps of  development. First, we have a need. Second, Satan attempts to woo us to his solution. Third, we rationalize his solution.  Fourth, we entertain his solution and finally we act upon it. This is sins gestation process an thus compels us, as believers in Christ, to address it in 2 ways: 1.  Birth control (Abstinence) 2.  Abortion The battle to defeat sin begins with these 3 simple words, "I trust God."  I trust God to wait.  I trust God that His plan is perfect.  I trust God beyond my moment and beyond what my eyes presently see.  I trust God to have my best interests at heart.  I trust God enough to walk away from what my flesh and mind are in agreement on. I trust God so much that I am choosing to practice abstinence with sin. Trusting God is not a simple choice, but is based upon the gr