Skip to main content

My life changed because of Easter

The Easter story goes back now well over 2000 years.   It has been talked about, written about, sung about and expressed in just about every medium possible.  The sad thing of so much exposure is that it can often turn the most beautiful thing into the mundane, turning glory into white noise.

One way we can see the power brought back for the hearer is to turn the story to its relevance in the speakers life.  Go beyond the facts of history.  Go beyond the theology of faith.  Talk about what the Easter story means to you, for as believers you are its' most powerful testimony.

I grew up in a pastors home, so from a tender age I learned the facts about Jesus.  I was one who had many experiences at the proverbial altar; many times confessing my sins and many times receiving Jesus into my heart.   Some might ask me which one 'stuck' but I would point them to each one being a part of my journey.  Each time I resolved to know Jesus more I grew in Him ever so slightly.  It didn't matter much that my practice of Christianity was immature.  I was immature.  He accepted me just as I was.

So I grew up with a healthy respect of the judgement of God.  I like many feared the reality of Hell.  I feared the rapture as if I would be left.  I feared exposure for my sinfulness.   Thus I became prey for the trap so many fall to.  I had my church face and I had my world face.   I was good about the two of them not meeting.  The sad part of that is it required a bit of a 'con man' to maintain.   The great part of that was God was not content to allow the 'con man' to go unchallenged.

In 1990 was the first time I saw God exposed in a way that shook my core.  It was through God sending a woman to confront me about my lies.   That summer it happened again.   This time it was through three young women who showed me Jesus in a way I had never seen before.   The next times came in Bible school, especially when the dual nature of Aaron was challenged by 4 room mates who I will forever owe for their love.   It happened again during 'Phili Invasion' in 1995 as I led my first souls to Jesus.  It happened again in 1996 as my world flipped upside down while turning for 3D drama ministry of Valley Forge Christian College.

The point is that for all the times I failed, didn't care or outright betrayed my relationship with Jesus, He never gave up on me.  What was accomplished through the Easter story was offered to me in entirety.   Nothing was held back because it was offered in no part for what I had done but 100% for the simple reason that He loves me.

Jesus loves me, just as I come, but He is not content to leave me there.


He saved me - taking me from the Satan and making me his own.
He forgave me - making my long list of sins and betrayals as if they never existed.
He restores me - healing the brokenness of life as it plays out in my emotions, spirit and mind.
He builds me - imparting to me the Holy Spirit who leads me to a better way of life in Christ.
He stands in the gap for me - taking the full weight of God's wrath for all the sins I have and will do.
He never gives up on me - because His love is not based upon my response.  His love is His choice.  He doesn't give up because He doesn't want to; doesn't see an end of failure and defeat.

All of this - is possible - because of the Easter Story.   The following verse that gave me pause this morning speaks of the reality had Jesus left us to ourselves:
Psalm 130:3 "If you kept a record of our sins Lord, who could stand."

My hope is that this Easter you can celebrate the message of Christ being lived out by your lives.   My encouragement today is that like me - you would share your 'Easter experience'.  Come and celebrate at your church with others who can proclaim the message of this song:

If you can't, but the message intrigues you, and you would like to know more...visit any number of churches who teach Jesus' transformational work by the cross.

I am a pastor - I'd be glad to share Easter with you today at 10:30.
Here's our facebook page:   https://www.facebook.com/robfreemethodist/
God bless and happy Easter





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Know.

26  For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead" James 2:26 A common thought that has been shared with me is the insecurity some perceive in their Christian life.  Satan has a terrible ability to steer us away from the grace we have been freely given to the failures of our lives.  We often have hurt our relationship with Christ through those actions. So thankful for the grace of God.  It does not overlook sin, but it shows up when sin is present, with full hope of restoration through repentance.   Grace is not a license to sin, instead a tool used to redirect us back into fellowship and right standing.  Grace allows 2 major things to occur.  In the first sense it allows for the wrath of God to fall on the work of Jesus and not on us.  We call that propitiation.  The second thing that grace accomplished is the release of the Sprit to "guide us to all truth."  It is He who bring conviction and ultimately leads us to re

Killing Sin (part 3) - The Life Of Sin

This morning is the conclusion of a 4 part devotional series based upon the position that sin should have no place in the life of a believer. Sin compromises the spiritual walk thus sin must be put to death. These statements take a hard line, yet they are truth. The benefit of eradicating sin from your life is intimacy with God and power. The consequences of compromise with sin are impotence and complacency. It comes down to what kind of a Christian do you want to be. Do you want a faith that can move the mountains, or do you want a religious experience? The choice is yours. Let me encourage you to return to the previous 3 blogs on the topic. God is dealing with this man on the subject. May you benefit from my journey. Today we deal with the life of sin. What this means is that you did not practice abstinence with lust and you did not abort the fetus of sin as it developed (see part 2). What has been born now is controlling your life, demanding satisfaction every day. Just l

We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!!!

When I was a teenager I watched Wayne's World. I'll quickly admit it wasn't the best use of my time, yet here I am almost 25+ years later remembering a line they would use as they encountered a 'rock god' or something that inspired them. They would fall to their knees and shout out, "We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!  I laughed a bit because of how it was done.  It was funny, but it was also in some ways strangely tragic.  I wonder what Wayne or Garth will do before the God of Heaven. 11 For the Scriptures say, “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord ‘every knee will bend to me and every tongue will declare allegiance to God.’ 12 Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God." Romans 14:11-12 (NLT) In the presence of eternal God we are not worthy ourselves, yet the blood of Christ makes us worthy because it has paid for Creator's purpose to be restored.  The blood of Christ restored fellowship to God, took away the curse of sin and dea